G. Liese necklace?

Seems, like I may have added 12 or more photo's not sure how to do this, please be patient with me.  So I would like to know if anyone knows about this necklace.  I saw Mr. Allen's name on many files at Mrs. Lieses home  if you have the time could you please tell me about this.

Was it given to her when she opened the Bead Museum here in Prescott?  Where you here then? Do you know who put the necklace together?  Do you know where the beads came from?  Is there anything written about this necklace?

Thank you so much for your time.

Beads and Blessings,

Mary Ellen

Liese necklace 008.JPG

Liese necklace 001.JPG

Liese necklace 010.JPG

You need to be a member of Ethnic Jewels to add comments!

Join Ethnic Jewels

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here we are years later.  I have created a FaceBook Group for The Bead Museum, to honor Gabrielle Liese.  It can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1581060785530402/

Attached is a photo from 1999, the day that The Bead Museum opened in Glendale, AZ—when Gabrielle was presented with the necklace discussed in this dialogue.  Jamey

fb_cheryl_gabrielle_1999.jpg

• Hello Sarah, 
    I do think that you have most beads as accurately tagged as can be from an image like this.
    It is really great to open the debate so that we can all learn.
    I have looked again today and can only see 2 that I would definitely label differently.
    While the  3 pumtek beads have similarities to the etched agate and dze beads I think they should be classified separately. Also the netsuke bead is I think the smaller Ojime bead. Also closely related so a guess.
    There is nothing like letting the senses loose on a piece in our hands. So difficult to interpret the same info from an image. Well done!
    I do not think that any of us can do a better job than you already have so lets all see the accurate list and judge for ourselves how we went?
    Ann
  • I will go to the shop today and get a new photo, if you can wait a few hours, and then you should be able to see the beads behind the neck also.
  • Lets all do an id list!

using the pic below....

I will ask Jamey to do a definative list......

lets see who gets the most correct ID's

I will send a prize to the winner!!!!!

• Curiosity is getting the better of me.

I would love to know which beads are not exactly as Sarah suggested?

Is "c" a Pumtek bead and Maybe 'B' is a cast Asante or Akan brass bead (so difficult to see clearly on the picture) Maybe "f" is really baltic amber, is 'U' glazed clay or perhaps powder glass from Mauritania?. 'V' is close but I think called Ojime. 'z' could also be a dze. Impossible to be really sure of any without touching.

I would love to see a JDA list.   ann

Jamey D. Allen said:

Considering that Sarah was not involved in the project, and is working backwards from a photograph, her identifications are not bad. However a few beads are not precisely what she conjectures.
     Jamey
  • What bead would that be? JDA.
  • It was a good idea of yours, thanks for the advice.  Do you know anything about this bead?  Love, MEK

• You are very welcome Mary Ellen.  I hope you enjoy it for a long time.  Your decision to leave it to the Mingei (Liese Collection) is gratifying and appreciated.  They will provide it with a good home and continuing care.

Jamey

• I will be at the Mingei in Sept. for the San Diego Bead Soc meeting and am very excited to go and check out the place.  I am having a shadow box made for the necklace, one I can open up  so I can feel the beads and possibly wear it, not sure about that yet, but it will be an option.  I like to feel beads.  I do have a trust in place and will put your idea into action.  My children will not feel the same way my husband and I do about the necklace.  Thank you so much Mr. Allen for all your time and information regarding this piece.  I am feeling very blessed right now. Love, Mary Ellen

• Hi Mary Ellen. My initial reaction to your possessing this necklace was one of surprise. In a perfect world, I guess I'd like to see it in the collections of The Bead Museum. Unfortunately, The Museum no longer exists as an entity, but is now folded into The Mingei Museum in San Diego. Certainly, I have no claim on the necklace (!). I hope you will enjoy owning it. Perhaps you will consider willing it to The Mingei, so it will have a permanent home some day. That would be a nice decision on your part, if you were to choose that option. I will take a look in my photo archive, where, I suspect, I must have a photograph of Cheryl presenting the necklace to Gabrielle. I'll post a scan when I can get it formatted. Be well. Jamey
This reply was deleted.